A Future Bride Tries to Make Sense of Her Hyperactive Creativity

Thursday, August 9, 2007

1930s Big Band Theme

My inspiration for this theme came when I visited the Hotel Baker in St. Charles, IL. The Hotel Baker was built around 1928 and still evokes the charming feel of the Big Band Era. Walking into the hotel takes you back in time to an era of glamour and sophistication. They even offer vendor suggestions of Big Band ensembles who have played there in the past in case you want to take the theme and run with it.

Chronologically, this theme may span more years than just the Big Band Era of the 1930s--a little art-deco, a little bit "flapper", and a little speakeasy--but the common factors in my mind are romance and glamour. I imagine a ballroom filled with sharply dressed guests in coat tail tuxedos and drop shoulder evening gowns. A lady is never without a double strand of long pearls, opera gloves, and fur stole.

Need I say more?

No comments: